Saturday, May 20, 2006

Notice / Disclaimer

Very little that will be found at this site is in any profound way original. This is not simply due to the universally acknowledged fact that nothing under the sun is "new"; much of what you will find in my writing is consciously or uncon-sciously "borrowed" from those upon whose shoulders we all stand. This is not plagiarism as such, since readers have been forewarned. There's a reason that every email message which I send to my students at Hawaii Pacific University (Military Campus Programs) bears the following words of Helen Keller:



"Knowledge is happiness. [It is knowing] the great heart-throbs of humanity
through the centuries; and if one does not feel in these pulsations a
heavenward striving, one must indeed be deaf to the harmonies of life."




All my life I have had a deep thirst for "information"-- knowledge, if you will. As a small child the enforced "naptime" ritual was for me the closest thing I could conceive to the the endless tortures of Hell. It wasn't long till I began to have similar issues with the eternal 'boredom' of the Heaven that was described to me. In my lifetime of readings that has omitted few schools of thought or realms of imagination, I have occasionally have come as close to paradise as I believe it is possible to get in our temporal sphere. Thanks to GOOGLE it far easier today for me to try to track down an idea/concept from the media I constantly expose myself to: books, periodicals, and websites, as well as television and radio, not to mention the innumerable enlightening exhanges I have daily in my professional, social, political, and spiritual discourse. For the purposes of this blog, and the congressional campaign it has now become a part of, I will not take the time to track down and attribute my borrowings. Rather, if I come up with some "pearl" which I truly believe to have originated in my head in some sense, I will label it as such. Should you discover the likely source of anything not so labeled, please share it with the readers of the "Teachlaw" blog. We look forward to hearing from you.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home